July 29, 2015

HOW TO MAKE YOUR MAKEUP LAST ALL DAY


When you have school or work all day, it can be hard to find the time to re-apply your makeup multiple times a day. As I wear tinted moisturiser and concealer to school most days, when I put them on in the morning I need to ensure that they will last the entire school day with no touching up. Here are some tips to help your makeup to last all day:


Moisturise
Before starting your makeup routine, make sure your skin is moisturised, as if your skin has moisture the makeup will go on smoothly, and it will also stay on the skin longer, as your skin will not be trying to take all the moisture out of it. Use your usual day moisturiser all over your face to ensure that your base will last. I would also recommend using a thick eye cream every night, as if your under-eye area is moisturised your concealer will not crease. I use the Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado (not shown in picture). You should also put a good, thick lip balm on before starting your makeup, as it will have sunk in to your lips by the time you are ready to put your lip products on, and it will help them to stay your lips for as long as possible throughout the day. The NUXE Reve de Miel Lip Balm is great, as it is very thick and moisturising, but it sinks in quickly and it is not shiny or sticky on the lips.

Prime
After moisturising, you should use a primer on your skin just before applying your base. This will help your base stay on for as long as possible throughout the day, and it also helps to prevent your makeup from going patchy or shiny. The primer I use is the Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Primer. It gives a subtle glow to the skin, and it also helps to prevent shine on the skin later on in the day. As I have very dry skin, I like to use this primer as it gives my skin a natural glow without looking oily, but if you have very oily skin you might prefer a mattifying primer.

If you are going to be wearing eyeshadow or eyeliner on the eyelid, I would also advise to use an eyeshadow primer before applying your eye makeup, as it will help the eye makeup to stay on as long as possible, and it will prevent your eyeshadow from creasing or disappearing on the eyelids throughout the day. The best eyeshadow primer I have ever tried is the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, and I use this whenever I am wearing eyeshadow because this is the only primer that can stop the eyeshadow from creasing and disappearing on my very oily eyelids. When I don't use this primer, eyeshadow only lasts about 2-3 hours on my eyelids, but with it, eyeshadow will last up to 12 hours!

Use Brushes
I find that whenever I use brushes to apply my base and concealer, they last longer on my skin. This is probably because when I use a buffing brush for my foundation, such as my Bobbi Brown Full Coverage Face Brush, by using circular motions to apply and blend the foundation, it really buffs the foundation into my skin, making the foundation look more natural on my skin and making it last longer. I also find that when applying concealer with a brush, such as a MAC 217 Brush (not shown), concealer lasts longer on my skin, as it is buffing it into the skin.

Powder
The final step I always do when I want my makeup to last as long as possible is powdering. First, I set my concealer with powder, to ensure that it doesn't move throughout the day or crease under my eyes. To do this, I use my NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder and my Real Techniques Contour Brush (Sold in the Core Collection Set). I find that when I powder my concealer using a smaller brush, it doesn't move or fade throughout the day, which means I don't need to touch it up. To powder my T Zone and the rest of my face to ensure the rest of my makeup doesn't move and to ensure that my skin doesn't get too shiny throughout the day, I use my NARS powder again, but this time with a Real Techniques Powder Brush.


I find that when I use all of these tips, my makeup lasts much longer than it usually would, and I can go for an entire school day of about 8 hours without even needing to think about touching up my makeup at all throughout the day.